AACPS Winter Sports Communication
Updated November 17, 2020
- The MPSSAA winter sport season is scheduled to run from December 7, 2020, through February 13, 2021.
- Please understand that AACPS opening up registration for winter sports does not guarantee we will have in-person activities this season. Based on the current metrics in our county, we believe we may be starting the winter season virtually. While it is our goal to engage with student-athletes in-person, we want families to be aware of the reality that winter sports may start and or remain virtual throughout the season. Our level of involvement is contingent upon a collaborative effort between the school system and the Department of Health to monitor and evaluate COVID-19 health and safety metrics, including the case incidence rate (the average number of new cases per 100,000 residents over a seven-day period).
- Communication on the current status of our sports programs will come from the AACPS Office of Athletics in conjunction with the AACPS Communications Office. Schools will not make county-wide announcements on their own. They will provide status updates and information provided by the county to their coaches and communities as soon as they become available.
- Athletes who want to participate in the winter season are expected to register and begin attending sessions when the season starts (whether virtual or in-person). Attendance will be taken at all sessions.
- Broadneck high school will be opening winter sports registration (on Family ID) for student-athletes on Friday, November 20, 2020. We are doing so in order to be prepared to engage with student-athletes both virtually and in-person (when it is safe to do so). Once open, registration closing will be based on numbers, staffing, and other school-based factors. In the event the winter season transitions from virtual to in-person, schools may, but are not required to, reopen registration. Those decisions will be made at the school level and will depend on registration and virtual participation numbers at the time. Specific registration information will be posted on www.broadneckathletics.org no later than Friday morning.
For more information please visit the AACPS Athletics update page at: https://www.aacps.org/Page/8719